Vigyan Vidushi 2021 Physics Programme – Application are invited for Vigyan Vidushi 2021 Physics Programme for women students. Check complete details here.
About Vigyan Vidushi 2021 Programme
Vigyan Vidushi 2021 (Physics) Programme (VV2021-Physics) is a 3-week programme for women students in the first year of MSc Physics or the fourth year of Integrated BSc-MSc in Physics.
Vigyan Vidushi programme will provide exposure to advanced physics topics and research opportunities and encourage women students to take up research in physics as a career option.
The students will also get an opportunity to be taught, inspired, and mentored by successful women scientist role models.
- First year students of M.Sc. degree
- Students in fourth year of Integrated B.Sc. – M.Sc. degree in Physics.
- Students enrolled in an Integrated M.Sc- Ph.D. programme will not be eligible.
Number of Selections – Abbot 40 women students
The selection of candidates will be based on
- The academic profile of the candidate
- Recommendations of two referees
- A 200-word write-up on the candidate’s interest in physics
Programme Structure of VV2021 (Physics)
The basic structure of the programme will be like an online summer school.
There will be normally six courses, each of which will run for a week. In every week, two courses will run in parallel.
A course will typically consist of lectures in the morning, and approximately equal time devoted to tutorials in the afternoon. Students may be divided into smaller groups during the tutorials. There will be online interaction sessions in the evening.
While some of the courses will focus on strengthening basic understanding of physics essentials, most of the courses will be on topics that may not be normally covered in M.Sc. classes in a University. Even when the topics may be common, the elements of research or unique perspectives of active researchers will be essential parts of the courses.
The courses are expected to lead to a review of current research in the area towards the end. The tentative topics that will be covered in VV2021 (Physics) will be:
- Quantum Mechanics
- Statistical Mechanics
- Experimental Techniques in Physics
- Introduction to Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Introduction to Laser and Plasma Physics
- Introduction to Quantum Computation
In addition to the regular courses, the VV programme will have the following unique features:
- Special lectures by women scientists, as well as on women scientists that would serve as role models
- Ample opportunities for interacting (online) with subject experts, including many women scientists
- Special mentoring dealing with gender-related issues
- Exposure to Physics Education Research
|Application Deadline||15 April 2021|
|Selection of candidates (tentative)||15 May 2021|
|Duration of the online programme||31 May – 19 June 2021|
Interested applicants have to apply online for the Programme through this link.
Before apply online keep the following things ready
- A recent passport size photograph. (.jpg file of size < 2 MB).
- ALL your mark sheets for B.Sc./Int. MSc. as a SINGLE PDF (.pdf file < 15 MB ).
- Name, Designation, Institute, Email ID and Contact number of TWO referees who would be filling Confidential Assessment Form for you. It is preferable to choose referees with whom you have had academic interaction in recent times.
For more details – visit
Previous Years Details
Vigyan Vidushi 2020 (Physics)
|Application Deadline||15 March 2021|
|Duration of the online Programme||01 June – 20 June 2021|
Mode – Online
|Quantum Mechanics||Arvind Kumar, Anwesh Mazumdar (co-instructor), Amol Dighe (co-instructor)||Sumedha, Nishita Desai, Disha Bhatia, Shamayita Ray|
|Introduction to astrophysics||Bhaswati Mookerjea||Varsha Chitnis, Sushmitha R. Antony, Anwesh Mazumdar, Supriyo Ghosh, Vinita Navalkar|
|Statistical physics and condensed matter||Rajdeep Sensarma||Prerna Sharma, Anupam Kundu, Arti Garg, Kusum Dhochak, Ahana Chakraborty|
|Experimental techniques||Shirish Pathare, Shriganesh Prabhu, Vandana Nanal||Saurabhee Huli, Vinita Navalkar|
|Introduction to nuclear and particle physics||Vandana Nanal, Amol Dighe||Shireen Gangal, Biswajit Das, Manimala Mitra, Sukanya Mitra|
Mentoring sessions and career discussions
Led by Deepa Chari, Nishita Desai, Vandana Nanal. Participants: All the women faculty of VV2020, along with Preeti Kharb, Poonam Chandra, Sarita Vig, Moon Moon Devi, Priyanka Mohan and Jyotsna Vijapurkar. Special Invitees : Shubha Tole (Dean, GS, TIFR), Sugra Chunawala (Dean, HBCSE)