PhD Admission 2023: Notifications, Application Form, Entrance, Eligibility, Top Institutes
PhD Admission 2023: Various institutes like IISc, IITs, IIMs, NITs, IISERs, CSIR Labs, Research Institutes, Govt. and Private universities offers PhD Program.
PhD Admission 2023 in India is done based on national level exam like UGC NET, CSIE NET, GATE or university conduct there own entrance exams like DUET, JNUEE etc.
Mostly application form for PhD Admission 2023 is filled online.
Check here full details on PhD Admission 2023 like Dates, Selection Process, Latest Notifications, Entrance Exams, Syllabus etc.
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a research degree which is one of the most common types of doctoral degrees that concentrates on research studies in the domains like arts, science, engineering, management, pharmacy, mass communication, law, commerce, etc.
In a PhD course aspirants need to select a topic or a subject and do in-depth research on it and answer any queries related to the topic/ subject.
In India duration of PhD is typically minimum duration of 3 years and a maximum duration of 6 years.
PhD Admission Categories
- Full-time Research Scholar (usually stay on-campus and work full-time towards the PhD degree)
- Part-time Research Scholar (usually employed with some organization and work part time towards the PhD degree)
Popular PhD Fields
- PhD Humanities and Social Sciences
- PhD Sciences
- PhD Engineering
- PhD Commerce
- PhD Management
- PhD Law
- PhD Education
PhD Institutes in India
- Government Universities/Institutes
- There are Public universities or Institutes that are controlled by State Governments or the Union Government of India, collectively known as Government Universities/Institutes.
- Private Universities
- There are many private universities offering PhD Program.
PhD Admission 2023: Latest Notifications, Application Form and Dates
Check more – Latest PhD Admission Notifications
Top Colleges for PHD Admission 2023
List of top 25 Research Institutes in India as per NIRF Rankings –
Check – NIRF India Ranking All Category
PhD Admission 2023: Eligibility Criteria
- For UGC affiliated universities as per UGC Regulations Candidates must have a master’s degree or MPhil degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 10- point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country to assess, accredit or assure quality and standards of educational institutions to pursue a PhD Program. A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time, or for those who had obtained their master’s degree before 19th September 1991.
- Some institutes also allow a candidate seeking admission after a 4-year/8-semester Bachelor’s degree with Research should have a minimum CGPA of 7.5/10.
- Institutes like IISc, IITs, IIMs, IISERs and Research institutes have their own eligibility criteria. For institute wise eligibility criteria refer to their websites.
PhD Admission Process
Admission to the PhD courses is carried out both through merit as well as the entrance-based process. Institutes may also conduct interview.
As per UGC all universities shall admit Ph.D. Scholars through a National Eligibility Test (NET) or National Entrance Test or an Entrance test conducted at the level of individual universities. Provided that, any circular/notification/communication by the UGC/Ministry of Education, Govt. of India regarding the conduct of a common entrance test for this purpose shall be applicable and binding on the Universities concerned (and covered under such a circular/notification/communication).
Entrance Exam Based PhD Admission 2023
- National wise and institution-wise entrance exams are conducted for the admission of PhD courses.
- Some institutions even organize personal interviews along with the entrance exams for the admission of PhD courses.
Direct Admission / Merit-Based / Entrance Exempted PhD Admission 2023
- Top institutions offer PhD admission through a merit-based process on the basis of academic scores or/and national level exam like NET/GATE scores.
- Some institutes may also ask for the candidates to submit the outline of the research proposal to offer PhD Admission 2023.
- Institute may also conduct interview.
PhD Entrance Exam 2023
Universities accept the scores of either a national-level PhD entrance exam or an university-level PhD entrance exam.
As per UGC all universities shall admit Ph.D. Scholars through a National Eligibility Test (NET) or National Entrance Test or an Entrance test conducted at the level of individual universities.
National Level PhD Entrance Exams 2023
Some of the national-level PhD entrance exams are –
- CSIR UGC NET
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and University Grants Commission Jointly organises National Eligibility Test (CSIR UGC NET) is a national level exam.
- NTA conducts CSIR UGC NET exam twice a year to recruit candidates for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and lectureship.
- UGC NET
- University Grants Commission organises National Eligibility Test (UGC NET).
- It is a national level exam conducted by NTA.
- NTA conducts UGC NET exam twice a year to recruit candidates for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and for lectureship.
- GATE exam is conducted by IITs.
- It is conducted in online mode in the month of February every year.
- IITs, NITs, Research Institutes and some universities consider GATE score for PhD Admission.
- TIFR GS
- TIFR GS exam is conducted by TIFR.
- It is conducted every year.
- JEST exam is conducted by IISERs or TIFR for Physics and Theoretical Computer Sciences.
- It is conducted in online mode generally in the month of February every year.
- IISERs, Research Institutes and some universities consider JEST score for PhD Admission.
- AIIMS Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- DBT JRF Biotech Entrance Test
Institution Level PhD Entrance Exams 2023
Some of the institution-level PhD entrance exams that are conducted specially for the admission of courses offered by those institutions –
- Delhi University Entrance Exam (DUET) – PhD
- Common Universities Entrance Test (CUET) for PhD
- JNU Ph.D. Entrance Exam (JNUEE)
- BITS Pilani Ph.D. Entrance Examination
- Osmania University Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- Jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi – Ph.D. Admission Test
- BARC Ph.D. Admission Test
- University of Hyderabad Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- NIPER Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- Kurukshetra University Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- Guru Govind Singh Indraprastha University Delhi Ph.D. Admission Test
- Jamia Hamdard New Delhi Ph.D. Admission Test
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute Bareilly Ph.D. Admission Test
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University Lucknow-Ph.D. Admissions Test
PhD Entrance Exam Pattern
Generally PhD entrance exam pattern consists of two parts.
- Part A- Research Aptitude (Research aptitude consists of sections of logical reasoning, numerical ability and language proficiency).
- Part B- Subject Specific (Subject specific contains questions related to the selected subject).
PhD Admission 2023: Entrance Syllabus
- The syllabus for PhD Admission depends on the stream they have selected.
- For the science stream, the topics are similar to CSIR NET Syllabus whereas for the other subjects the topics are in line with the UGC NET Syllabus.
- Some universities will also release their PhD entrance syllabus on their website.
PhD Admission 2023: Entrance Preparation Tips
- Check syllabus and previous year PhD entrance exams question papers available through the internet.
- The format of the entrance exam varies depending upon the conducting body and hence be aware of the format to plan accordingly.
- Cover all the topics of the exam well before the commencement of the exam so that you will get proper time for revision.
- Practice various mock tests.