Here we will discuss in complete details about JEST Physics exam. We will discuss about JEST Physics syllabus, exam pattern and Participating Institutes.
Candidates seeking admission for Ph.D. / Integrated Ph.D. Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Computational Biology or Neuroscience in Participating Institutes may appear for JEST.
The SERB (Science & Engineering Research) recognizes JEST as a National Eligibility Test (NET). Fellows those are working in SERB programmes and have qualified NET are eligible to get enhanced fellowship.
Latest – JEST 2022 Result is available now
JEST Physics 2022 Important Details
|Opening of registrations and online application for JEST 2021||13 Dec 2021|
|Last date for submitting online applications||01 Feb 2022|
|JEST 2022 Exam Date||13 March 2022 (Sunday)|
|JEST Result||14 April 2022|
Eligibility for JEST 2022 Physics
- M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes).
Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as listed below.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be considered at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR.
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D (Physics)
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B. Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.
- B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
Please see advertisements/websites of the particular institutes for available programmes and their eligibility criteria.
JEST 2022 Application Process
- Applications for JEST 2022 can be submitted online
- Before filling application form read the instructions carefully.
|For SC/ST, Female applicants||Rs. 400|
|For Others||Rs. 800|
|Mode of Payment||Online|
See this video for Stepwise Application Process for JEST 2021
Mode of JEST Examination
JEST exam generally conducted offline.
Pattern of JEST Physics
JEST Paper contains three parts with a total of 100 marks.
- Part A contains 25 questions, and each carries 1 mark for the correct answer, and -1/3 mark for incorrect answer. Multiple choice questions have only one correct answer out of given options.
- Part B contains 15 questions, and carries 3 marks each for correct answer, and -1 mark for incorrect answer.
- Part C contains 10 questions and each carries 3 marks. Answers of these questions are in integers and have to be filled on the OMR by filling in bubbles in the OMR sheet. There are NO NEGATIVE MARKS for these questions.
Visit the individual institute websites to view the programmes and subject areas being offered by them. Here is the list of Participating Institutes.
JEST Physics 2022 Syllabus
Vector algebra and vector calculus, tensors, curvilinear coordinate systems, linear algebra; Linear differential equations, elements of Sturm-Liouville theory; Special functions; Complex analysis; Fourier series and Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms; Elementary properties of discrete groups; Elements of probability theory, error analysis.
Newton’s laws, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions; generalized coordinates, principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics; symmetry and conservation laws; central force problem, Kepler problem; small oscillations and normal modes; special relativity in classical mechanics.
Electromagnetism & Optics
Electrostatics and magnetostatics, boundary value problems, multipole expansion; fields in conducting, dielectric, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media; Faraday’s law and time varying fields; displacement current; Maxwell’s equations; energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields; propagation of plane electromagnetic waves, reflection, refraction; electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media; diffraction, interference, polarization.
Uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; central potentials, hydrogen atom; orbital and spin angular momenta, addition of angular momenta; matrix formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, Hermitian operators; variational principle, time independent perturbation theory, time dependent perturbation theory.
Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics
Laws of thermodynamics, work and heat, thermodynamic potentials; Elements of kinetic theory; Maxwell’s relations; statistical ensembles; partition function; classical ideal gas, harmonic oscillators; classical and quantum statistics; Fermi and Bose gases; black body radiation; statistics of paramagnetism.
Basics of semiconductor; p-n junctions, diodes, transistors; LCR circuits, rectifiers, amplifiers, active filters and oscillators; basics of OPAMPs and their applications; basics of digital electronics.
For JEST Physics Syllabus PDF – Click Here
For More Details and to apply Visit – JEST 2022 Website
JEST Previous Editions
JEST Physics 2021 Important Dates
|Opening of registrations and online application for JEST 2021||Monday January 11, 2021|
|Last date for submitting online applications (extended)||19 February 2021|
|Last date for online payment Application Fee (extended)||17.00 hours of 22 February 2021|
|JEST 2021 Exam Date||25 July 2021 (Sunday )|
|JEST Admit Card||14 July 2021|
JEST Physics Answer Key
Provisional Answer Key
Challenge Process and Dates
- Please write back to [email protected] on or before before 17.00 hrs of 29th July 2021 if you have any credible reason for disagreement with any of the answer keys provided.
- Emails/mails regarding answer keys will be taken into consideration only if they are accompanied by detailed worked out solutions.