IUCAA NAT 2023: The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune is going to conduct IUCAA National Admission Test (INAT) to select candidates to pursue a Ph.D. degree with scholarship at IUCAA.
Check full details on IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2023 below here.
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an autonomous institution set up by the University Grants Commission), is a leading centre of research in a wide range of areas in Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Physics. IUCAA is located in the Savitribai Phule Pune University campus.
IUCAA offers challenging opportunities to young motivated students to pursue a PhD degree in research topics in all areas of Astronomy and Astrophysics including Instrumentation, Multi-wavelength Ground and Space-based observations and Data analysis, Solar physics, Extra-Galactic Astronomy, High-energy astrophysics, Gravitational wave astrophysics, Theoretical and Computational astrophysics, Large-scale structure, Gravitation and Cosmology.
IUCAA is a participant in major national and international projects such as the currently operating 10-m Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), the multi-wavelength AstroSat mission, the upcoming Aditya-L1 mission; the next generation optical observatory – the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT); the planned advanced gravitational-wave observatory – the LIGO-India. IUCAA has a high-performance computational facility and an excellent library.
IUCAA National Admission Test (INAT-2023)
- The IUCAA National Admission Test (INAT-2023) is being conducted to select candidates to pursue a Ph.D. degree with scholarship at IUCAA.
- The written test will be held at various screening centers on Wednesday, February 08, 2023.
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- Students who have completed or expect to complete their M.Sc./ Integrated M.Sc. in Physics/ Astronomy/ Applied Mathematics or B.E./ B.Tech./ M.E./ M.Tech. in any branch by July 2023 with a minimum of 55% marks are eligible to apply for INAT-2023.
- In addition, talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/ 4th year Integrated M.Sc. and 2nd/ 3rd year B.E./ B.Tech. students may also apply to be pre-selected for the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
- Based on the applications and referee assessments, a subset of the candidates will be short-listed and invited to take the written test, to be held in Pune on Wednesday, February 08, 2023.
- All candidates should report at the Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA, with the necessary documents for verification (the ones mentioned above, the Admit letter, for all invited candidates).
- Registration for the test will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 9:45 a.m. A seat in the test is not guaranteed unless registration is completed by the candidate during this period.
- The final selection to the research scholarship will be based on the results of the written test (on Wednesday, February 08, 2023) and two interviews (on February 08 – 09, 2023), all to be held at IUCAA, Pune.
- Note that the selection through INAT is in addition to the selection through the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST).
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2023 Important Dates
|Last date for submission of online application forms||13 December 2022|
|Last date for online submission of Assessment Forms||19 December 2022|
|INAT 2023 Admission Test Date||08 February 2023, at 10:00 a.m.|
|INAT 2023 Interview Dates||08-09 February 2023|
INAT 2023 Test & Interview
|INAT Written Test||08 February 2023||Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA,|
Savitribai Phule Pune University Campus, Ganeshkhind,
Pune 411007, Maharashtra
|Short-listed candidates will be interviewed on||08-09 February 2023||At IUCAA, Pune|
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2023 Application Process
- Candidates have to apply online on http://inat.iucaa.in/
- There are TWO steps in the application procedure.
- Candidates must first register by entering their name and valid e-mail address in the appropriate registration boxes below. An application password will then be automatically sent to the candidates e-mail address.
- The e-mail address and the password must be entered in order to fill out the Online Application Form. The Application Form also requires the names and e-mail addresses of two referees.
- When the form is submitted, the candidate will receive an e-mail containing his/her Online ID, an account password, and confirmation that s/he has applied for INAT-2023.
- E-mails will also be automatically sent to the two referees, requesting them to fill and submit the online Confidential Assessment Form. The candidates should inform their referees about the Assessment Form.
- Note that each applicant must submit his/her Application Form before the referee fills the Assessment Form.
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2023 Exam Details
- The test will be of TWO hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English.
- The questions will be from basic Physics, Mathematics, Electronics/ Engineering to advanced areas of the same subjects and consists of three parts:
- Part – A: Basic Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering
- Part – B: Advanced Physics, Mathematics and Engineering
- Part – C: Both basic and advanced areas of Physics, Mathematics and Engineering
INAT Exam Pattern
|Question paper||Type||No. of questions||marks for each question||Negative marking|
(all answers are in integers of 3 digits)
Based on their performance in the written test, a limited number of candidates will be invited for two interviews, which will be conducted on February 08 – 09, 2023.
The final selection will be based on the scores in the written test and interviews.
Selected candidates are expected to join in August 2023 (except for pre-selected candidates), after satisfactory completion of their qualifying examination.
Pre-selected candidates will need to complete their qualifying degree (M. Sc./ B.E./ B. Tech.) from any institute and join the Ph.D. programme only after that.
Travel and Stay:
Outstation candidates will be paid one and one-third times the train/bus fare by second-class sleeper (NOT air-conditioned) from their place of residence (as given in the INAT-2023 Application Form) to Pune and back by the shortest route, as well as a halting allowance (as per the prevailing rules) for each day of stay for the interviews.
A list of lodges and hotels located close to IUCAA is given here. Candidates (and accompanying persons) may have meals on payment in the IUCAA canteen on the days of the written test and interviews.
The best mode of transport between IUCAA and the Pune railway station or bus stand is autorickshaw. The fare is as per the tariff card with the driver. During the day, the autorickshaw fare from Pune railway station to IUCAA will be about Rs. 100/-. Entrance to the INAT venue and IUCAA campus is from the Aundh-Khadki gate of the Pune University campus.
What to bring (and what NOT to bring) :
- All the candidates who are invited to take the IUCAA National Admission Test should bring the Admit Letter with them.
- For the written test, the candidates should bring a pen, a pencil (HB), an eraser, and a simple mathematical calculator.
- At the time of interviews, the candidates are requested to bring all original mark sheets (starting from Class X) and any other relevant certificates.
- Mobile phones, digital diaries, laptops, etc. are NOT allowed in the test and interview halls.
|Application Form||Click Here|
|IUCAA Website||Click Here|
|Latest PhD Admissions||PhD Admissions|
|Admissions in Maharashtra||Admissions in Maharashtra|
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2022
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2022 Important Dates
|Last date for submission of online application forms||25 April 2022|
|Last date for online submission of Assessment Forms||01 May 2022|
|INAT 2022 Admission Test Date||31 May 2022|
|INAT 2022 Interview Dates||June 20, 21 and 22, 2022 (Online)|
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2021
IUCAA NAT (INAT) 2021 Important Dates
|Last date to apply online||24 Aug 2021|
|The last date for the online submission of the Assessment forms||31 Aug 2021|
|Exam date for the written test||10 Sep 2021|
|Short-listed candidates will be interviewed on||27 Sep – 29 Sep 2021|
INAT 2021 Online Examination Instructions
The screening test for INAT 2021 will be carried out on an online examination platform. The online examination will consist of 40 questions with a maximum of 120 marks. The questions will be divided into three sections consisting of either multiple choice questions or fill in the blanks. Some of the questions will have a negative marking scheme for incorrect answers.
The examination will be proctored using a dual device system. The candidates are expected to have access to two devices with microphone, camera and internet capabilities. These could be any two devices from the following list: laptop, desktop, or mobile devices such as tablets or phones. No dual monitor systems will be allowed, and all remote connection software are expected to be switched off during the examination. The examination software will detect any movement away from the examination browser window.
The second monitoring device will be placed in a location which will allow the surroundings of the student taking the exam to be monitored by the proctors. Both the video, audio and screen feeds from the main device will be turned on during the examination. The video, audio and the screen feeds of the candidates devices during the examination will be recorded and saved for the sole purpose of verifying the integrity of the examination.
Use of a physical calculator is prohibited. However, the exam platform will give access to an on-screen calculator which is permitted. A list of physical constants will also be provided in an easily accessible manner on the test platform.
A proctor reserves the right to block any student from the examination if they notice any behavior that violates the integrity of the examination. This includes but is not limited to a) seeking outside help for the questions, b) presence of another person in the video feed, c) internet search for the answers to questions, d) any other attempts at cheating.
IUCAA will host two mock online examinations for students to familiarize themselves with the examination platform. Students will be provided with detailed instructions to open an account on the examination platform, and the procedures to access the scheduled examinations. Students are expected to participate in these mock examinations and sort out any technical issues before the examination date. Technical support for the examination will be available on a dedicated WhatsApp account or over a phone.