IISER Admission 2023 – Indian Institutes of Sciences Education and Research (IISER) offers Dual BS-MS (Five Year Dual Degree) Program at Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati and 4-year BS in Engineering and Economic Sciences at IISER Bhopal.
All those candidates who are eligible can take admission through channels like KVPY, JEE Advanced of IIT, SCB. Those who will seek admission through SCB channel will have to appear for IAT 2023.
- IAT-2023 will be conducted on Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 9:00 AM
Check full details on IISER Admission 2023 like dates, eligibility criteria, application process, fees, etc.
- To integrate and promote interdisciplinary science education and research the Govt. of India has established IISERs at Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram and Tirupati Over the years, IISERs have been successfully attracting talented young minds
- In a short span of time IISERs have generated an incredible amount of intellectual property in the form of publications and patents.
List of IISERs
About the BS and BS-MS Dual Degree Programs
- Five year dual degree program for highly motivated science students
- Classroom learning integrated with research providing ample scope for interdisciplinary interactions.
- Curriculum with a focus on both breadth and depth in sciences; engineering sciences and economics
- Opportunity to pursue impactful research
- Fully residential program with well-equipped hostels
- Access to on-campus medical, sports and other recreational facilities
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth & Climate Sciences/Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Economic Sciences
- Engineering Sciences (Chemical Engineering, Data Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science)
- Geological Sciences
- Integrated & Interdisciplinary Sciences (Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Data Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences)
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Four-year BS program in Engineering Sciences and Economics is offered only by IISER Bhopal.
The tentative total number of seats available for BS-MS/BS program is 1838, with each IISER having the following number of seats.
|Number of Seats
|Number of Seats
|IISER Bhopal (Engineering Sciences)
|IISER Bhopal (Economic Sciences)
IISER Admission 2023 Important Dates
|IISER Admission 2022 Events
|Application portal will open (IAT & KVPY)
|April 15, 2023
|Last date to apply IAT & KVPY
|May 25, 2023
|Application portal will open JEE (Advanced)
|Last date to apply JEE (Advanced)
|Corrections in application form
|May 28, 2023 11:00 AM to May 29, 2023 5:00 PM
|Release of Hall Ticket
|June 10, 2023
|IISER Aptitude Test
|June 17, 2023
|Upload of student’s response form
|June 17, 2023
|Display of answer keys
|June 17, 2023
|Portal opens to file objections
|June 20, 2023
|Last date to file objections
|June 22, 2023
|Display of final answer keys
|June 30, 2023
|IAT result publication
|July 3, 2023
|Portal opens to upload documents and freeze IISER preferences
|July 4, 2023 to July 7, 2023
|First round of admission offers
|July 15, 2023
Eligibility Criteria for IISER Admission 2023
- Applicants must be Indian nationals or PIO or OCI in order to apply through KVPY or IAT channel. Candidates who are NOT Indian nationals or PIO or OCI can apply for admission only through the JEE (Advanced) channel.
- Candidates must have passed Class XII (or equivalent) exam with science stream in 2022 or 2023 from any board recognized by Council of Boards of School Education in India COBSE.
- Candidates must have taken at least three subjects among Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics during their Class XII (or equivalent) exam.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD should have scored a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade in their Class XII (or equivalent) exam. Candidates belonging to other categories should have scored a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade in their Class XII (or equivalent) exam.
Performance criteria in qualifying examination
- Candidates whose Class XII (or equivalent) exam results are not yet declared, can apply for admission to IISERs. However, their admission will be subject to fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria given above.
- For candidates who had appeared in the Class XII (or equivalent) exam for the first time in 2022 and reappeared in any subject (for whatsoever reason) in 2023, the better of two performances will be considered.
- If a board gives aggregate marks considering both Class XI and Class XII, then only Class XII (or equivalent) exam marks will be considered. If a board gives aggregate marks considering the results of all three years of a 3-year diploma or courses of equivalent duration, then only the marks scored in the final year will be considered. Similarly, for boards which follow a semester system, the marks scored in the final two semesters will be considered.
- If a board awards only letter grades without providing an equivalent percentage of marks on the grade-sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the board specifying the equivalent marks and submit it before the deadline of the mark-sheet submission. In case such a certificate is not provided by the board, the percentage marks will be assessed as follows: percentage marks = (CGPA or CPI obtained × 100) / PS, where PS stands for the maximum value of the point scale used by the respective board.
- Reservation policies as mandated by Govt. of India will apply.
- Scheduled Caste (SC) – 15% of seats
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) – 7.5% of seats
- Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) – 27% of seats
- Persons with Disability (PwD) with at least 40% impairment – 5% of seats (supernumerary)
- Kashmiri Migrants — 3 seats per IISER (supernumerary)
- Economically Weaker Section (EWS) — up to 10% (as per Government of India rules)
- Note that the EWS/OBC-NCL certificate should be valid for the financial year 2023-24.
IISER Admission Channels
There are three channels for admission
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) channel
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE-Advanced) of the Indian Institutes of Technology
- State and Central Boards Channel (SCB)
A candidate can apply through any one or two or all the three channels, provided they satisfy the overall eligibility conditions and specific eligibility conditions for those channels.
- IAT Channel
- Candidates seeking admission through this channel must appear for a computer-based IISER Aptitude Test(IAT-2023).
- IAT-2023 will be conducted on Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 9:00 AM, at various centres across the country.
- KVPY Channel
- The KVPY-SA-2021 students who have received the provisional KVPY fellowship award are eligible to apply for admissions.
- Candidates in the extended KVPY merit list are not eligible.
- Candidates seeking admission under this channel do not have to appear for IAT-2023.
- JEE Channel
- Candidates seeking admission under JEE channel should have qualified in the JEE (Advanced) in the year 2023, AND should have a rank within 15000 in the common rank list or in the respective category rank lists (GEN-EWS/OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PwD).
- Those who qualified JEE (Advanced) in any year other than 2023 are not eligible.
- Candidates with JEE (Advanced) preparatory ranks are not eligible.
- Candidates seeking admission under this channel do not have to appear for IAT-2023.
- Students admitted through IIT-JEE Advanced and SCB channels will be eligible for a limited number of INSPIRE fellowships as per the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, norms.
IISER Admission 2023 Application Process
- Candidates have to apply at www.iiseradmission.in
- After checking the IISER 2023 Eligibility Criteria fill the IISER 2023 Application Form
- They need to fill the form, whether they are planning to go for any of the methods: KVPY Method, JEE Advanced Method or through SCB Method.
- The first step is the registration process for the exam. For this stage, it is required that the students have a valid and working E-Mail Id and phone number. At this stage, they will have to enter the details as asked in the form like name, phone number, E-Mail Id etc and other such details. After it, the students will get the login details so as to fill the rest of the IISER 2022 Application Form.
- In the next step, the candidate has to login to the portal to complete the IISER 2023 Application Form. Different details might be there for all the categories. Candidates have to fill the details correctly
- Also, they will need to upload some documents as well. It should be ensured that the all the details are filled and the documents uploaded and saved simultaneously as well.
- After doing so, they will be redirected to the payment window. Here the student needs to pay the mentioned application fee through the credit/debit/net banking methods
- It should be known that without paying the application fee, the student shall not be allowed to appear for the exam
- Also, they need to take a printout of the application form. It has to be submitted at the time of admission process.
As per the previous year data, the IISER 2023 Application fee can be as follows for different categories:
|General, EWS, and OBC-NCL categories
|Persons with disabilities, persons registered as Kashmiri migrants and SC/ST category
|For foreign nationals
|Credit and Debit Card, Net Banking and UPI
IAT 2023 – IISER Admission Test 2023 Details
IISER Aptitude Test (IAT) will be conducted as a computer based test in centres across India.
IAT will consist of 60 questions, 15 questions each from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics. Total time for answering the test will be 180 minutes. Questions will be of multiple choice type with only one correct answer.
- Each correct answer will be awarded 4 marks.
- Each incorrect answer will lead to the deduction of 1 mark.
- Unanswered questions will be awarded 0 mark.
Not every candidate appearing in IAT 2023 will be awarded a rank. Rank cut-off will be announced at an appropriate time. Further, getting a rank does not guarantee offer/admission to an IISER.
IISER Admission Test Syllabus
The syllabus generally follows the NCERT syllabus for classes XI and XII.
- Diversity in the living world
- Structural organization in animals and plants
- Cell structure and function
- Plant and Animal physiology
- Human physiology
- Genetics and evolution
- Biology and human welfare
- Biotechnology and its application
- Ecology and environment
- Structure of the Atom
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- States of Matter
- Redox Reactions
- The s-block Elements
- The p-block Elements
- Organic Chemistry – Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- Environmental Chemistry
- The solid state
- Chemical Kinetics
- Surface chemistry
- General principles and processes of isolation of elements
- The d- & f-block elements
- Coordination compounds
- Haloalkanes and haloarenes
- Alcohols, phenols and ethers
- Aldehydes, ketones and carboxylic acids
- Organic compounds containing nitrogens
- Chemistry in everyday life
- Relations and functions
- Trigonometric Functions
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Principle of Mathematical Induction
- Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations
- Linear Inequalities
- Permutations and Combinations
- Binomial Theorem
- Sequences and Series
- Straight Lines
- Conic Sections
- Three Dimensional Geometry
- Limits and Derivatives
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Continuity and Differentiability
- Application of Derivatives
- Applications of integrals
- Differential equations
- Linear Programming
- Physical World and Measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy and Power
- Motion of Systems of Particles and Rigid body
- Properties of bulk matter
- Behavior of perfect gas and kinetic energy
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic effect of current and magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Alternating Current
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter
- Electronic devices
- Communication Systems
IISER Admission Test Previous Year Question Papers
- Entire counselling process will be conducted online. There is no need for the candidates to visit any IISER in-person during the counselling process.
- Candidates can check if they received admission offers by logging into their application portal.
- Admission offers to any candidate will be given strictly based on the following factors:
- seat availability at each IISER in the current allocation round,
- IAT rank obtained by the candidate OR JEE/KVPY rank (as applicable),
- IISER preferences given by the candidate, and
- the category to which the the candidate belongs.
- If a candidate receives an admission offer, he/she can either choose to accept the seat OR reject it. If candidate rejects the offered seat or if no action is taken by the candidate before the deadline, then candidate will not be able to participate in further rounds of counselling.
- If a candidate receives an offer, then to accept the seat offered, the student must pay a seat acceptance fee through online mode before the prescribed deadline. If the seat acceptance fee is not paid, the candidate will not be considered for admission in subsequent allocation rounds.
- After accepting the offer and paying seat acceptance fee, the candidate can exercise two options:
- candidate can FREEZE the seat (they will not participate in further rounds of counselling),
- candidate can FLOAT (they will participate in further rounds of counselling to get their higher preferences). The FLOAT option is activated by default for those who pay the seat acceptance fee.
- A student who has chosen to FLOAT will be again considered for seat allocation in the next round. If they are eligible to secure a seat in an IISER that is higher in their preference list than the currently accepted one, they will be offered that seat.
- If seats in preferred IISERs are filled, then candidate will not be considered in further rounds of counselling. For example, if a candidate had given only two preferences as IISER-X and IISER-Y, and if the seats in these IISERs are filled, then the candidate will not be considered for seat allocation anymore. This process happens even if the student has not been allocated any seat in previous counselling rounds.
- Admission offers given are provisional. They will be confirmed only after the candidates report at the IISER where they have secured admission and provide all the required documents in original.
- Requests for extension of date or time for seat acceptance will not be entertained under any circumstances. Published deadlines will be strictly followed.
- All the announcements related to the admission process will appear on this website. Candidates must follow this website for any updates.
Seat Acceptance Fee (SAF)
- Seat Acceptance Fee is to be paid only after an offer of admission has been made to the candidate.
- Rs. 35,000/- (Rs.25,000/- + Rs. 10,000/- (Non refundable administrative fee)) for General/EWS/OBC-NCL categories
- Rs.17,500/- (Rs.12,500/- + Rs. 5000/- (Non refundable administrative fee)) for SC/ST categories.
- Failure to deposit the SAF within the stipulated time will result in the cancellation of the oﬀer. Furthermore, you will not be considered in any subsequent rounds of seat allotment during admission 2023
- Once you register in your allotted IISER, this amount will be adjusted against your ﬁrst semester fee.
Rules related to withdrawal/refund of the fees
- The application fee is not refundable.
- Refund policy for the Seat Acceptance Fee is given below :
- The candidate can withdraw his/her seat/offer by pressing the button “WITHDRAW OFFER” in the application portal. No other form/method of withdrawal is accepted. Email or phone communication in this regard is not entertained.
- Once candidate has withdrawn, he/she will not be considered for further rounds of admission process. A withdrawn candidate cannot re-enter the admission process again under any circumstances.
- There are two important withdrawal dates :
- Round-wise withdrawal (RW) date, and
- Final withdrawal (FW) date.
- RW and FW dates will be announced in the admission website.
- If a candidate withdraws from the counselling process before RW deadline, then no cancellation fee will be applicable.
- If a candidate withdraws after the RW deadline, but on or before FW, then the non-refundable amount will be deducted.
- IISERs and JAC are not liable for losses incurred if your application is not withdrawn in the above manner and on or before the stipulated date and time.
- Once a candidate has withdrawn the offer through the counselling portal, the amount due will be returned through the same channel (credit/debit card, bank account etc.) used to pay the SAF. Such candidates do not have to take any additional steps towards their SAF refund. Refund process will start only after three weeks of the completion of the admission process.
- If the candidate does not withdraw on or before FW deadline, then the SAF will be transferred to the allotted IISER. Any further withdrawal will be taken care by that particular IISER following the instructions given below.
- If the candidate fails to join in-person at the offered IISER on the joining date mentioned in the offer letter of the respective IISER, the cancellation fee decided by the concerned IISER will be applicable.
- Further, candidate who have paid SAF but fail to show up by the last date of admission fee payment at the concerned IISER will not be considered for further rounds of admission.
- If the candidate decides to discontinue after joining any particular IISER, the refund policy of that IISER will be applicable.
The Seat Acceptance Fee will be eventually transferred to the IISER which the candidate finally registers at, and the respective IISER will collect the remainder of the fees that may be applicable locally from the candidate upon registration at the particular IISER.
Important last dates for withdrawal
- Coming soon
- Requests for extension of last date for withdrawal will NOT be entertained.
- For withdrawals before round-wise deadline, entire SAF will be refunded in full.
- For withdrawals after round-wise deadline but before final withdrawal date Rs. 10,000.00 (Rs. 5,000.00 for SC/ST,PWD and KM) will be deducted. Rest of the SAF will be refunded.
- For withdrawals after the final withdrawal date, withdrawal and refund rules of admitting IISER will apply.
IISER Admission 2022
|IISER Admission 2022 Events
|Application portal will open on
|25 April 2022
|Last date to apply
|20 May 2022
|Exam date of IAT 2022 (Postponed)
|03 July 2022
IISER Admission 2021
|Date of the IISER Aptitude test
|17 September 2021
|Date of opening of the application portal for the KVPY stream
|01st July 2021
|Date of closing of the application portal for the KVPY stream
|31st August 2021
|Date of opening of the application portal for the SCB stream
|01st July 2021
|Date of closing of the application portal for the SCB stream
|31st August 2021