CSSSC PhD Admission 2022 – Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta invites application for PhD admission 2022 affiliated to Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
Check full details on CSSSC PhD Admission 2022 below where.
Available PhD Programs
Cultural Studies / Digital Humanities / Gender Studies
- Gender and Performance, Theatre and Performance in Twentieth-Century India, Feminist Performance, the Politics of Performance.
- Nineteenth-Century Bengal, literary forms, modern poetry, world literature.
- Women and Education, Caste/Community and Category formation, Sociology of Folklore, Sociology of
- Language, Gender Relations in Rural Society, Rural Sociology (Bihar and Uttar Pradesh)
- Videogame Studies, Board game Studies, Digital Humanities and narrative theory.
- Philosophy of science and technology
- Political economy of natural resources; Political economy of cities
- Macroeconomics, International Economics, Labor Economics, Public Economics
- Financial institutions and markets in macro models, Imperfect financial markets and firm investment.
- Western India, historiography, languages and scripts.
- Adolescent tribal health and education, social determinants of health, intersectionality, gender-based violence
- Land and agrarian relations, political economy of south India
Eligibility Criteria for CSSSC PhD Admission 2022
- Eligible candidates must have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed). The Master’s degree (or its equivalent) may be in any of the social science disciplines or from non-Social Science disciplines.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(A) (non-creamy layer) /OBC(B) (non-creamy layer)/ Differently abled candidates or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19 September, 1991.
- NOTE: All applicants must have completed results of 2-Year MA or equivalent degree from any university/institute recognized by the UGC.
CSSSC PhD Admission 2022 Important Dates
|Last Date for submission of application form||10 June 2022|
|Provisional list of candidates eligible for Admission Test||17 June 2022|
|Online Written Entrance Test||23 June 2022|
|Provisional list of candidates to be called for Interview||07 July 2022|
|Online Interview||3rd Week of July 2022|
|Provisional list of selected and wait listed candidates||Will be informed in due course|
CSSSC PhD Admission 2022 Application Process
- Application forms can be downloaded from CSSSC’s website.
- The completed application form with all supporting documentation is to be submitted in the M.Phil Ph. D Office of the CSSSC between 10.30am-1.30 pm, and 3.00-5.30 pm on all working days (except Saturdays and Sundays) on the mentioned address in brochure.
- Candidates should attach along with their application form a demand draft of Rs. 500/- (non refundable) drawn in favour of ‘Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta’ payable in Kolkata.
- Eligible candidates will have to appear for (a) an entrance test of one-hour duration and will be called for (b) an interview only if they qualify in the online entrance test.
- Candidates who have already passed M.Phil. (two-year) /NET /SET need not appear for the written entrance test but will have to appear for the interview.
- A candidate who has a two-year M.Phil. degree from any university other than Jadavpur University will be required to submit a certificate from the competent authority stating that the selection to the M.Phil course has been made through a written test and that a full paper on Research Methodology of at least one semester duration was taught in the M.Phil course. Otherwise waiver from online Entrance Test and coursework shall not be granted.
- The minimum marks in the written entrance test, in order to qualify for the interview is 10 out of a maximum of 20 marks, for candidates applying under general category. Applicants under reserved category will be assessed as per the relevant government order.
- The entrance test will consist of two essay-type questions, each carrying equal weight. One question will test students’ understanding of research methodology. The second question will be discipline specific. Sample question papers are available on the Centre’s website. For applicants to the Ph.D in Economics, both questions will be with an emphasis on mathematical economics.
- The final selection will be made on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the interview, and will be based on the feasibility of the project being conducted at the CSSSC, the availability of a suitable faculty supervisor for the specific topic of the applicant’s research proposal, strength of the research proposal, and applicant’s awareness of the conceptual and methodological issues and debates within the concerned discipline.