CeNS PhD Admission 2023: Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences (CeNS) an autonomous research institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST) invites application for PhD Admission 2023.
Check full details on CeNS PhD Admission 2023 here.
The Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences (CeNS) is an autonomous research institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
DST provides core support to the Centre in the form of a grant-in-aid for conducting basic and applied research in nano and soft matter sciences.
CeNS is located in its new campus, ‘Arkavathi’ at Shivanapura, Bengaluru North, which hosts ample greenery and has a lovely serene space that would inspire new ideas and probably lead to path-breaking scientific achievements.
The Centre was established in 1991 by an eminent liquid crystal scientist, Prof. S. Chandrasekhar, FRS. It was then known as Centre for Liquid Crystal Research, a registered scientific society in Karnataka with the objective to build a centre of excellence in line with the international trend those days on liquid crystal materials and devices. In 1995, it became an autonomous institute under the Department of Electronics (DOE), Government of India and in 2003, was brought under DST. Subsequently in the year 2010, the name was changed to Centre for Soft Matter Research. Recently in 2014, the Centre has further widened the scope of research activities to embrace nanoscience and technology and is now known as Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences (CeNS). It is being mentored by Nano-Mission of the Government of India.
The Centre is engaged in materials research at all relevant length scales. Specifically, the current activities are focused on a variety of metal and semiconductor nanostructures, liquid crystals, gels, membranes and hybrid materials. It has close interactions with many Institutions and Industry, in India and abroad.
About CeNS PhD Programs
The Ph.D. programme at CeNS focuses on basic and applied aspects of advanced research in the field of nano and soft matter sciences.
The students who enroll for the programme at CeNS register either with Mangalore University or Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) for their Ph.D. degree.
Areas of Research
|Energy & Environment
|Photovoltaics, photodetectors, Energy storage devices, Hydrogen Energy, Sensors, Smart windows and displays, Electro catalysts, Electrochemical & Photocatalytic energy conversion, Electrochemical sensors
|Large-scale synthesis at near-ambient conditions, Solution based processes, Low-cost instrumentation, Hybrid spin valve – resistive switching memory devices
|Acoustic and optical metamaterials, Radiative cooling
|Soft materials/ Liquid crystals
|Synthesis, Composites, Phase transitions
|Biomedical devices, Antibacterials
|Phase transitions in two dimensions, Micro- and nano-structured surfaces, Structural colours, Wettability Plasmonics
CeNS PhD Admission 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- M.Sc./M.Tech. from a recognized University / Institute, in Physics/Chemistry/Materials Science /Nano Science and allied subjects, with at least 60% aggregate marks for the general category and 55% for SC/ST candidates.
- The candidate should have qualified at least in one of the national level entrance tests, i.e., CSIR-UGC NET (JRF only) / GATE or JEST, or should be an INSPIRE fellow.
- Specialization in Condensed Matter Physics, Electronics, Materials Science, Organic/ Inorganic/ Physical/ General Chemistry at the Master’s degree level is desired.
- Students who have appeared for the final year examination and expect to obtain their results before 31 July 2023 may also apply.
CeNS PhD Admission 2023 Important Dates
|The Last date for receipt of completed applications
|30 April 2023
|Short-listed applicants will be called for an interview at CeNS during
|12 – 16 June 2023
CeNS PhD Admission 2023 Application Process
Only online applications will be accepted for Ph.D. Programme.
Candidates can apply online at CeNS Website.
Before starting to fill the application form please keep ready the JPG files of your photo, all education related documents (Scanned or photo in Landscape mode) and referee details.
Candidates will be short-listed for an interview based on their performance in the national entrance test(s) and academic performance. The final selection is based on the performance in the interview.
Note: Interviews will be held in person only.
- The Centre also encourages motivated candidates from recognized R&D organizations, academic institutions, government organizations and industries to join PhD programme at the Centre on a full-time basis.
- The candidate must be a regular employee of the sponsoring organization and need not necessarily be qualified in any National Eligibility Test.
- The applications must be submitted through proper channel along with a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the employer.
- If selected, a sponsorship letter from the organization need to be submitted at the time of admission.
- The Centre does not provide any fellowship or financial assistance to such candidates.
- The research expenses including laboratory fees, etc are to be met through sponsorship only.
Fellowship and Hostel Facilities
Students will be provided a fellowship of Rs. 31,000/- p.m. (first two years) – 35,000 (next three years).*
Students can avail on-campus hostel facility.
* As per the norms laid out by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi.
Students are encouraged to participate in national and international workshops, expos, symposia and conferences. Centre provides financial assistance of up to Rs. 1,50,000/- during the five-year duration of the Ph.D. programme.
A clinic with basic facilities and a medical practitioner is available for the students on the campus. For any special medical needs, students are referred to nearby /empaneled hospitals.