University of Madras PhD Admission 2023 (July) – University of Madras invites applications for PhD admission offered in various departments of the University, Colleges affiliated to University and recognized research institutions for the academics session July 2023.
Check full details on University of Madras PhD Admission 2023 (July) below here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
University of Madras PhD Programs
Modes of PhD
- PhD Full-time
- PhD Part-time
Available PhD Program
PhD Admissions are offered in the following university departments –
- Adult & Continuing Education
- Agro Economic Research Centre
- Ancient History and Archaeology
- Anna Centre for Public Affairs
- Christian Studies
- Counselling Psychology
- Defence and Strategic Studies
- Dr. Ambedkar Centre for Economic Studies
- French and other Foreign Languages
- Indian History
- Indian Music
- Library and Information Science
- Journalism and Communication
- Legal Studies
- Management Studies
- Politics and Public Administration
- Ramanujan Institute of Advanced Study in Mathematics
- Siva Siddhantha
- UGC-Centre for South and South East Asian Studies
- Women Studies
- Centre for Cyber Forensic & Information Security
- Arabic, Persian and Urdu
- JBAS Centre for Islamic Studies
- Tamil Language
- Tamil Literature
- Analytical Chemistry
- Applied Geology
- CAS in Botany
- Central Instrumentation & Service Lab.
- Computer Science
- CAS in Crystallography & Biophysics
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Material Science
- Network Systems and information Technology
- Nuclear Physics
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Polymer Science
- Theoretical Physics
- National Centre for NanoScience & Nano Technology
- Centre for Natural Hazards and Disaster Management
- Centre for Water Resource Management (CWRM)
- Medical Biochemistry
- Pharmacology & Environmental Toxicology
- National Centre for Ultra Fast Processes
- Physical Education
- Institute of Distance Education (IDE)
- Computer Science
- Management Studies
- Public Administration
Ph.D. Research Programmes of The University Departments and Affiliated Colleges – Research Programs
Eligibility Criteria for University of Madras PhD Admission 2023 (July)
- Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have passed SSLC (10th or 11th class/grade and PUC or higher secondary (12th grade) before joining Under Graduate (UG) programme (3 or more years) and UG before joining Post Graduate (PG) degree programme. That is, the candidate should have completed PG degree programme after completing UG degree in the format 10+2+UG Degree (3 or more years) or 11+1+ UG Degree (3 or more years).
- Candidates shall have a PG degree from a UGC recognized University in India or a professional degree declared equivalent to the PG degree by corresponding statutory regulatory bodies or professional councils like AICTE. Candidates should have obtained at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade B in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) in the PG degree.
- A list of PG degrees that could be considered for admission is detailed as –
- PG Degrees in the faculties of Arts, Sciences, Fine Arts, Languages, Commerce, Education, Physical Education, Management Science and Law of this University or equivalent thereto.
- PG Degrees in the faculties of Engineering, Technology and Medicine including the Degree of Doctor of Medicine (M.D. or M.R.C.P), or Master of Surgery (M.S. or F.R.C.S./M.R.C.S.), Indian Medicine, Veterinary Science, M. Pharm. and Agriculture of this University or equivalent thereto are eligible for admission in Life Sciences and Basic/BioMedical Sciences departments.
- M.B.B.S. Degree with two years of Senior House Surgeon / Special training or equivalent thereof recognized by the Medical Council of India or competent authority are eligible for admission in life and Biomedical Sciences.
- Bachelor Degree in Veterinary Science, Ayurveda, Siddha, Homeopathy, Unani Medicines, etc., with two years Senior House surgeon / equivalent special training in related disciplines of two years duration are eligible in Life and Bio-medical Sciences.
- ACA, FCA, AICWAI, ACSI qualifications of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India, and Institute of Company Secretaries of India, with minimum pass marks and four years of Professional experience in reputed firm /organization after successful completion of the above mentioned examinations are eligible for admission in commerce and related disciplines.
- Candidates from the National Defence Academy (NDA), National Defence College, New Delhi, Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington with M.Sc. Defence and Strategic Studies / M.Phil. Degree are eligible for Ph.D. (both full-time and part-time) admission and they are exempted from submitting HSC or PUC Certificates.
- Each BOS-PG shall provide a list of PG degrees issued by the University of Madras in disciplines / subjects eligible for admission in Ph.D. in that discipline / subject and approved by the Syndicate. Candidates with PG degrees from other Universities shall obtain eligibility certificate from the University of Madras. The Admission is ratified only after obtaining eligibility certificate.
- Relaxation of Marks: A relaxation of 5% of marks – from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC / ST / Differently-abled or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991. The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
For Part-time requirements refer regulations.
University of Madras PhD Admission 2023 (July) Important Dates
|Opening of online application portal||June 1, 2023|
|Closing of online application portal (Extended)||July 15, 2023|
|Entrance Exam||July/August, 2023|
University of Madras PhD Admission 2023 (July) Application Process
- Candidates can submit the application form online from the University Website (www.unom.ac.in)
- Hard copy of the application should be submitted to the respective University Departments / Affiliated College (Autonomous and Non- Autonomous) / Research Institutions.
|SC/ST candidates of Tamil Nadu||Exempted|
|For others||Rs.1500/- + GST|
|Mode of Payment||Online|
- Admission shall be based on the criteria notified in this set of regulations taking into account the reservation policy of the State Government from time to time.
- University Departments / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions shall admit Ph.D. students through an Entrance Test conducted at the level of University Departments / Affiliated Colleges / Research Institutions.
- Candidates with such fellowships as UGC-JRF, CSIR-JRF, DBT, and DST-INSPIRE, ICMR Research Fellows / Research Associates may be admitted directly without entrance test at any time of the year. Project fellows in MRP / RUSA, etc., may be admitted with entrance exams anytime of the year.
- Admission shall be made purely on merit basis: 50% of marks shall be from the qualifying examination, i.e. PG Degree and another 50% from entrance examination.
University of Madras PhD Entrance Exam Details
The entrance examination shall be conducted by the respective Department / Affiliated College / Institution and shall carry a maximum of 50 marks as detailed below
- Written examination – 35 marks
- Oral examination – 15 marks
The Entrance Examination should test the candidate’s research aptitude and knowledge in the subject and research methodology.
The candidate shall secure at least 25 marks out of 50 marks in the entrance test (Written and Oral).
A relaxation of 5% of marks (from 50% to 45%) shall be given for the candidates belonging to SC / ST / Differently–abled category in the entrance test examination conducted by the Universities.
|PhD Regulations||Click Here|
|Application Link||Click Here|
|University of Madras Website||Click Here|
Join Our Telegram Channel