NIT Trichy PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) – National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli invites applications for PhD admission Jan 2024 in various disciplines.
Check more details like admission categories, important dates, application process etc. on NIT Trichy PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
NIT Trichy PhD Programs
- PhD Chemical Engineering
- PhD Civil Engineering
- PhD Computer Science and Engineering
- PhD Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- PhD Electronics and Communication Engineering
- PhD Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- PhD Mechanical Engineering
- PhD Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- PhD Production Engineering
- PhD Architecture
- PhD Chemistry
- PhD Computer Applications
- PhD Humanities and Social Sciences (English, Economics)
- PhD Energy and Environment
- PhD Management Studies
- PhD Mathematics
- PhD Physics
Available PhD Programs for Jan 2024
|Computer Science and Engineering||03|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||06|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||02|
|Energy and Environment||02|
|Humanities and Social Sciences (English, ||01|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||06|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||03|
Categories for PhD Admission
- Full Time
- Half-Time Teaching / Research Assistantship (HTRA)
- Externally Funded
- Part-Time – In-Service
Eligibility Criteria for NIT Trichy PhD Admission 2024 (Jan)
Lateral Applicants (Regular)
- Applicants with masters’ degrees (including those currently in their final semester and expecting degrees awarded in 2023)
- (i) in the OC/GEN-EWS/OBC-NCL category must possess 60% or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 6.5/10), and
- (ii) in the SC/ST/PwD category must possess 55% aggregate or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 6.0/10.0), in both UG and PG degrees for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- In addition, a qualified GATE or an equivalent National level test score obtained at some point of time in the past is mandatory for HTRA category of Architecture, Sciences (mathematics, physics, chemistry), Computer Applications, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences disciplines.
- However, GATE/ equivalent National level test score is not mandatory for HTRA category of Engineering disciplines alone (National Level Ph.D. entrance test will be conducted at NIT Tiruchirappalli as an alternative to the mandatory GATE score criterion for Academic Year 2023-24 for HTRA candidates in Engineering Disciplines for LATERAL (REGULAR) APPLICANTS alone).
- GATE/equivalent National level test score is not mandatory for non-stipendiary, project and Part-Time (Internal and External) category of all disciplines. However, such candidates have to appear for National Level Ph.D. entrance test to be conducted at NIT Tiruchirappalli.
- Applicants currently in their final semester (2019- 2023 batch only) of their B.E./B.Tech. or B.Arch. (2018-2023 batch only) degree programme are expected to get their bachelors’ degrees awarded in 2023
- (i) in the OC/GEN-EWS/OBC-NCL category must possess 80% or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 8.5/10), and
- (ii) in the SC/ST/PwD category must possess 75% aggregate or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 8.0/10.0), in UG degrees for admission to the Ph.D. program (all exams cleared in first attempt without any arrears / backlogs).
- In addition, a valid GATE, or an equivalent National level test, score is mandatory.
- These applicants are eligible for Full-Time HTRA category in the Engineering and Architecture departments only. Selected candidates will be joining a two-degree M.Tech./M.Arch. + Ph.D. programme in Engineering / Architecture.
- This channel is meant for exceptionally outperforming applicants admitted through CCMT and currently completing their 1st year (2022-2024 batch only) master program (M.Tech/M.Arch) of the institute (NIT-T only) with a minimum CGPA of 8.5 upto 2nd semester (i.e. CGPA ≥8.5 and with no course having grade less than C) along with B.E./B.Tech. (4 year) / B.Arch. (5 year) degree.
- At UG level, if the applicant is (i) in the OC/GEN-EWS/OBC-NCL category he/she must possess 60% or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 6.5/10), and (ii) in the SC/ST/PwD category he/she must possess 55% aggregate or above aggregate marks (equivalently, CGPA at least 6.0/10.0) for admission to the Ph.D. program. Selected candidates will be joining a two-degree M.Tech/M.Arch. + Ph.D. programme in Engineering / Architecture
For department specific eligibility criteria read Information Brochure.
NIT Trichy PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Important Dates
|Online Application portal opens||27th September 2023|
|Last date for application||31st October 2023 (5:00 p.m.)|
|Tentative Schedule for Written|
|11-18 December 2023|
NIT Trichy PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Application Process
- Candidates have to apply online in the official website of NIT Trichy.
- Read information Brochure carefully before filling application form.
- Applicants are requested to apply online only. Hard copy of the application needs to be submitted by part-time internal applicants only.
- An applicant fulfilling minimum eligibility criteria can choose up to 3 departments he/she is eligible. Applications to more than one department shall be considered only upon payment of the requisite fees for each department.
Applicants MUST upload the following scanned documents while submitting the Ph.D. Application.
- 10th and 12th Marks Sheet.
- Passport size photograph.
- Signature of the applicant.
- Mark-sheet of the last semester/ Consolidated mark-sheet of the qualifying degree. Applicants whose final result is awaited have to upload their latest/previous semester mark-sheet.
- Category Certificate (OBC-NCL/SC/ST), if applicable. An affidavit can be uploaded for having applied in case the certificate is not yet received.
- Applicants from Economically Weaker Section (GEN-EWS) need to submit EWS certificate issued by the Competent Authority in the prescribed format, if applicable. An affidavit can be uploaded for having applied in case the certificate is not yet received.
- PwD Certificate, if applicable. An affidavit can be uploaded for having applied in case the certificate is not yet received.
- Sponsorship certificate, if applicable. Please upload Sponsorship Certificate, If not available then attach Self-declaration letter stating that the sponsorship certificate will be given at the time of Interview/ Admission).
- A statement of Purpose (SoP), and research proposal (if any), as a single file irrespective of the number of disciplines/ specializations.
- At least 2 letters of recommendation (LoR) from the institutes/universities who are familiar with the applicant.
|For OC/OBC-NCL/EWS candidates||Rs. 1000/-|
|For ST/ SC/ PwD candidates||Rs. 500/-|
|Mode of Payment||Through State Bank icollect mode|
- Selection of candidates will be based on an initial screening of the applications, a written test and the performance in the interview/counseling to be conducted offline/online for this session of admission for all categories. Only the shortlisted applicants shall be notified on the Institute’s website at every stage.
- Depending on the number of applications received, the Institute/ Department(s) may set the criteria higher than the minimum eligibility requirements for shortlisting applicants for offline/online written test/interview/counseling process.
NIT Trichy PhD Admissions 2024 (Jan) Results
Written Test/Interview for ICE Department alone is being rescheduled on 13.12.2023
Candidates are requested to kindly make their own travel arrangements. The institute shall not provide any allowance for travel or accommodation. Accommodation in hostels may be provided, upon request well in advance, for candidates from long distance. However, it is subject to availability and other constraints at that point of time.
Candidates may find directions to reach NIT Trichy on our website.
Shortlisted candidates will have to appear for Written test and Interview at NIT Tiruchirappalli during the scheduled dates December 11-18, 2023. Further, detailed schedule will be posted on website/email, and candidates are advised to check periodically.
Syllabus for GATE, or equivalent national level test, shall be followed for the Written test. Interviews shall be conducted by respective departments based on their requirements and suitability.
Shortlisted for Written Test
|Department||Shortlisted for Written Test|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Link|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Link|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Link|
|Energy and Enviornment||Link|
|Humanities and Social Science||Link|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||Link|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||Link|
Join Our Telegram Channel