IUCAA PhD Admission: The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune is going to conduct IUCAA National Admission Test (INAT) to select candidates for Ph.D. degree with scholarship at IUCAA.
Check full details on IUCAA PhD Admission 2024 below here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an autonomous institution set up by the University Grants Commission), is a leading centre of research in a wide range of areas in Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Physics. IUCAA is located in the Savitribai Phule Pune University campus.
IUCAA offers challenging opportunities to young motivated students to pursue a PhD degree in research topics in all areas of Astronomy and Astrophysics including Instrumentation, Multi-wavelength Ground and Space-based observations and Data analysis, Solar physics, Extra-Galactic Astronomy, High-energy astrophysics, Gravitational wave astrophysics, Theoretical and Computational astrophysics, Large-scale structure, Gravitation and Cosmology.
IUCAA is a participant in major national and international projects such as the currently operating 10-m Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), the multi-wavelength AstroSat mission, the upcoming Aditya-L1 mission; the next generation optical observatory – the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT); the planned advanced gravitational-wave observatory – the LIGO-India. IUCAA has a high-performance computational facility and an excellent library.
IUCAA PhD Admission Process
IUCAA PhD Admission is through following modes –
IUCAA National Admission Test (INAT)
INAT is conducted by Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune. This test and the subsequent interviews are generally conducted in the first week of January every year at IUCAA Pune.
- Application deadline: November 15, 2023
- Last date for online submission of Assessment forms: November 19, 2023
- Admission (Written) test: January 10, 2024
- Short-listed candidates will be interviewed on: January 10 – 12, 2024
Full Details on INAT – INAT
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
This test is usually conducted at IUCAA, Pune, and at other centres in India on the third Sunday of February every year.
For more details about JEST, test syllabus, sample question papers, etc. – JEST (https://www.jest.org.in/)
CSIR-UGC NET for JRF (Physics)
Only those who have qualified for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in the previous two years are eligible to apply. Those who have qualified for only Lecturership are NOT ELIGIBLE.
IUCAA PhD Admission Eligibility Criteria
- Students who have completed or expect to complete their M.Sc./Integrated M.Sc. degree (in Physics, Applied Physics, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Electronics, or Astronomy) or B.E./ B.Tech./ M.E./ M.Tech. degree (in any branch) by July 2024, with 55% marks or more are eligible to apply for INAT-2024 towards a Ph.D. scholarship.
- In addition, talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/4th year Integrated M.Sc. and 2nd/ 3rd year B.E./ B.Tech. students may also apply to be pre-selected for the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
- A relaxation of 5% in the qualifying marks, from 55% to 50%, is applicable for candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC-NCL/ EWS or Persons with Disabilities (PwD) category.
Application procedure, shortlisting of candidates and interviews:
- INAT: The application procedure is completely online. Offline applications are not accepted. No fees is charged for applying. Screening committees involving IUCAA faculty members evaluate the applications and shortlist students for the written test. All such shortlisted students are informed by email. Interviews are conducted immediately after the written test and during the next couple of days, depending on the total number of students to be interviewed.
- JEST: The application procedure is completely online. Offline applications are not accepted. An application fee is charged, details of which are available at https://www.jest.org.in/ This test is conducted at various cities throughout India. After the declaration of JEST results, students are required to apply online. Screening committees involving IUCAA faculty members evaluate the applications and shortlist students for interviews. All such shortlisted students are informed by email. Interviews are conducted either during May or June every year.
- CSIR-UGC NET for JRF (Physics): Students are required to apply online. Screening committees involving IUCAA faculty members evaluate the applications and shortlist students for interviews. All such shortlisted students are informed by email. Interviews are conducted either during May or June every year. Please note that the student has to produce a letter from the CSIR-UGC informing qualification as JRF at the time of interview.