IIST PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) – Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram invites applications for PhD admission for the academic session starting in Jan 2024.
Check full details on IIST Trivandrum PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
IIST PhD Programs
PhD Program is offered in the following Departments
- Aerospace Engineering
- Earth and Space sciences
Research Areas Category for Jan 2024 PhD Admission
- Funded by IIST
- For External Fellowship Holders
- External Projects
For available research areas details read notification.
Eligibility Criteria for IIST PhD Admission 2024 (Jan)
- Candidate should be an Indian citizen
- Age Limit
- Below 35 years as on 31st October, 2023. Age relaxation as per Govt Rules.
For candidates with Master’s Degree in Technology/Engineering as their highest qualifying degree
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology with 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent (55% marks or 6.00 CGPA for OBC/EWS/SC/ST/PwD) in the qualifying master’s degree.
- Master of Science in Engineering or equivalent from leading foreign Universities with minimum CGPA 8/10 or 3.6 /4 or equivalent.
For candidates with Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Technology as their highest
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Technology with 75% marks or 8.0 CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent (70% marks or 7.50 CGPA for OBC/EWS/SC/ST/PwD) in the Qualifying Bachelor’ degree.
- They should have a valid GATE score.
Candidates in the following categories are exempted from the requirement of GATE score: –
- i) Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Technology from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) /Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) with 8.00 CGPA (CGPA of 7.50 for OBC/EWS/SC/ST/PwD) on a scale of 10 or equivalent in the Qualifying Bachelor’s degree.
- ii) Applicants with Dual degree (Bachelors in Engineering and Masters in Science from IITs and Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology) with minimum score in Bachelor’s degree as mentioned above.
- iii) Applicants who have cleared a National level eligibility test, such as a valid UGC-CSIR-NET-JRF/Lectureship or NBHM/JEST in the relevant disciplines. Applicants applying with their JEST score should have secured a rank within the first 400.
For candidates with Master’s Degree in Science/ Humanities/ Management/Social Sciences as their highest qualifying degree
- Master’s Degree in the relevant area with a minimum of 60% marks or 6.50 CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent (55% marks or 6.00 CGPA for OBC/EWS/SC/ST/PwD) in the Qualifying Master’s degree. They must have cleared a National level eligibility test, such as a valid UGC-CSIR-NET-JRF/Lectureship or NBHM/JEST/GATE in the relevant disciplines.
- Applicants applying with GATE score should have a valid GATE score of minimum 300 (285 for OBC / EWS / SC/ST/PwD categories) in a Science discipline. Applicants applying with JEST should have JEST rank within the first 400.
Applicants with Bachelor’s Degree with four-year duration in Science/Humanities/ Management/ Social Sciences as their highest qualifying degree
- Bachelor’s Degree (4 years’ duration) in Science with 75% marks or 8.0 CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent (70% marks or 7.50 CGPA for OBC/EWS/SC/ST/PwD) in the Qualifying Bachelor’s degree.
- They must have cleared a National Eligibility Test, such as a valid UGC-CSIR-NETJRF/LS or NBHM/JEST/GATE in the relevant discipline.
- Applicants with GATE/JEST should have a valid GATE score of ≥ 300 (285 for OBC / EWS /SC/ST/PwD) and JEST rank, within the first 400.
- For M.E/M.Tech./B.E/B.Tech, selection to the PhD programme will be based on online screening test followed by an interview. For M.E/M.Tech./B.E/B.Tech with a valid UGCCSIR-NET-JRF/LS/NBHM/JEST selection is through direct interview.
- For candidates with Master’s in Sciences, Humanities, Management, Social Sciences/Dual Degree applicants (B.Tech and M.Sc from IITs/IIST)/ four years’ bachelor’s degree in Sciences, Humanities, Management, Social Sciences and having a valid score card/certificate in any of the National Eligibility Test (listed in the minimum qualifications), selection will be through direct interview.
Applicants who are employed in Government/ Semi Government/ PSUs/ Autonomous Bodies should produce a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the current employer at the time of Interview.
Selection Criteria based on screening test & Interview:
- The candidates who have participated in the screening test will be shortlisted if they secure a minimum of 50 % combined for Section A (Section A comprises questions based on Aptitude and class 12 Mathematics) and Section B (the research area).
- There will be a relaxation of 5 % for SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS candidates, i.e., SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS candidates require a combined mark of 45 % and above for Section A and Section B together.
- There will be a 70 % weightage for the PhD Online screening test and 30 % weightage for the interview.
- A candidates securing less than 10 marks out of 30 marks in the interview will not be selected irrespective of category and irrespective of the performance in the Online screening test.
- The combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview for a UR candidates should be 60 % and above to be selected and for the SC/ST/PWD and OBC / EWS candidates, the combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview should be 55 % and above.
- Provisionally selected candidates list, after the interview, will be displayed in the IIST admission portal.
- All scholars selected to the PhD programme (listed in Table 1) shall receive a fellowship of ₹ 37,000/- per month. (Research Scholars selected with UGC/CSIR/NETJRF/NBHM and State Government Science and Technology Scheme etc., shall draw fellowship from the concerned organizations). For all research scholars with external fellowship, the concerned rules and regulations of the funding agency apply.
- The fellowship will be enhanced to ₹ 42,000/- per month based on a performance review after two years of the programme.
- The scholars will be required to assist the Departments in tutorials, practical training in labs or similar academic activities normally limited to 6 hours per week.
Important Dates for IIST PhD Admission 2024 (Jan)
|Opening of IIST website for online submission of applications||October 12, 2023|
|Closing of IIST website for online submission of applications||October 31, 2023|
|Display of shortlisted candidates for Test & Direct Interview||November 08, 2023|
|Date of online screening test||November 16, 2023|
|Publishing of screening test results||November 22, 2023|
|Interview Dates||December 5 – 8, 2023|
|Display of provisionally selected candidates||December 14, 2023|
|Reporting date at the Institution||January 01, 2024|
|Classes begin for Ph.D Programme||January 08, 2024|
|Last date of Admission||January 15, 2024|
IIST PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Application Process
- Applications shall be submitted online at the IIST website http://admission.iist.ac.in. Applications received online only will be considered.
- Candidates are permitted to apply up to maximum four broad research areas only, including research areas across different departments, if eligible.
|For General/EWS/OBC candidates||Rs. 700/- per Department|
|For SC/ST/PD and Women applicants||Rs. 350/- per Department|
|Mode of Payment||Through online mode|
Join Our Telegram Channel