IIT Ropar PhD Admission 2024 (Jan)- IIT Ropar invites applications for admission to PhD Programs in various disciplines for Jan 2024 session (Academic Year 2023-24).
Check full details such as application process, eligibility criteria, important dates on IIT Ropar PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
IIT Ropar PhD Programs
- PhD in Sciences
- PhD Physics
- PhD Chemistry
- PhD Mathematics
- PhD in Engineering
- PhD Biomedical Engineering
- PhD Civil Engineering
- PhD Computer Science and Engineering
- PhD Electrical Engineering
- PhD Chemical Engineering
- PhD Mechanical Engineering
- PhD Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar invites applications for Ph.D. Programme in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering , Computer Science and Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Department of Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering and Physics for January 2024 Session (Academic year 2023-24).
Category for PhD Program
Candidates will be admitted to the PhD programme of the Institute under one of the following categories:
Regular Full-Time PhD
The regular full time scholars can be of the following categories.
- Institute Fellowship
- Students under this category are entitled for Institute Research Assistantship / Fellowship as per MHRD, GOI norms.
- Govt. / Semi Govt. Fellowship Awardees (CSIR, UGC, DAE, DST, DBT, NBHM, etc.)
- These candidates are financially supported under various Govt. / Semi Govt. schemes. The admission procedure and other requirements are same as applicable to research scholars/institute fellowship.
- Fellowship through Project (FTP)
- The admission procedure and other requirements for research Fellows (JRFs/SRFs) in various projects/schemes in the institute who wish to enroll for the PhD programme are the same as applicable to Institute Research Scholars. They will be paid assistantship/fellowships as per the norms of the project and sanctioned amount.
- Self financed Indian Nationals, including those on Study Leave (SF)
- The candidates admitted under this category are not eligible for any financial support from the Institute (IIT Ropar). Candidates with the provisional DST INSPIRE fellowship award letter may apply under Self Finance (SF) category. After successful admission, if the candidate subsequently clears the final round of selection of DST INSPIRE, s/he would be allowed to convert from the Self Finance (SF) to Fellowship Award (FA) category. Candidates who are released from the Government or educational Institutions on study leave for a period not less than three years for doing research work at IIT Ropar, can seek admission under this category. Employer’s Letter for Study Leave should be produced at the time of joining, if selected.
- Sponsored Candidate (SW)
- The candidates admitted under this category are not eligible for any financial support from the Institute (IIT Ropar) and are sponsored by their employers. They are expected to be relieved for full time course work and research at the Institute for a minimum period of three years. An appropriate sponsorship letter should be submitted at the time of written test and/or interview.
Part Time PhD Programme
- External Registration Programme (ERP)
- This category refers to a candidate employed in an R&D organization/academic institution/industry having adequate research facilities. The research work leading to the Ph.D. degree may be carried out largely in the parent organization of the candidate under a Local Supervisor from the organization but with the overall guidance provided by a faculty member (Institute Supervisor) of the department in which the candidate is registered.
- A research scholar under the Part time PhD Programme will carry out major part or all of his/her research work at IIT Ropar under the supervision of supervisor(s) at IIT Ropar. The feasibility of doing this with sufficient intensity will be an important consideration in admitting the scholar in this category. Only employees of Public Sector Undertakings or Government Departments or Research and Development Organizations or Private Industries/University/Institution (approved by Faculty Boards/committee) are eligible for admission to these programmes.
- IIT Ropar regular Staff
- Members of non-teaching staff (working in permanent capacity, including technical and non-technical) may be permitted to join the Ph.D. program under this category. All common rules laid down in the Ph.D. Regulations relating to course work, prosecution of research work under the supervision of a member of faculty, etc. shall be applicable.
IIT Ropar PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Eligibility Criteria
Regular Full-time PhD
|Qualifying Degree||Minimum Performance in Qualifying Degree for General/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)/EWS Category Candidates||Minimum Performance in Qualifying Degree for SC/ST/PwD category Candidates||Qualification Through National Level Examination Requirements|
|M.Tech./M.E/M.D. or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||55% marks or 5.5 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Nil|
|M.Sc/MBA/M.A/M.B. B.S. or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||55% marks or 5.5 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE/CSIR/U GC-NET/DSTINSPIRE/JEST /NBHM or other national fellowship|
|B.E./B.Tech. or equivalent four years program||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||55% marks or 5.5 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE/CSIR/U GC-NET/DSTINSPIRE/JEST /NBHM or other national fellowship|
- Requirement of qualification in GATE / National level Exam is waived off for the following categories of applicants.
- Currently registered candidates in Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) pursuing B.Tech./B.E./ Integrated M.Tech./ Integrated M.Sc. programmes (or any other programme of minimum four year duration, admission to which is on the basis of JEE), who have completed 6 semesters or more, and have CGPA of 8.0 or above (on a 10 point scale). Such candidates must obtain a CGPA of 8.0 or above at the time of graduation, and before they formally register for the Ph.D. programme (80% aggregate marks, if marks is the primary mode of evaluation).
Eligibility Requirement for ERP candidates
- Minimum Eligibility Requirements : In addition to possessing the academic qualifications mentioned in the table under regular full-time Ph.D program, an applicant should fulfill the following additional requirements also.
- GATE or equivalent qualification : GATE or Equivalent Qualification is not required for admission.
- Professional Experience: Should have completed full time employment of 2 years of service as on the deadline of application.
- Organization/Institution: Organization/Institution must have at least 5 years of its existence for sponsoring candidates to the ERP programme. Only persons engaged in R & D work in Technical / Scientific Institutions/ Industries or R & D Establishments are eligible. The organization should have adequate facilities for carrying out research. All CFTIs/GFTIs will be considered irrespective of their years of existence.
- Sponsorship/NOC Unconditional sponsorship or NOC by the employer is essential and a must at the time of joining. IIT Ropar will not have any financial liability for the candidate throughout the tenure of PhD. The sponsorship certificate must be provided in the format specified at FORMAT-A in brochure.
Eligibility Requirement for Part-Time candidates
- Minimum eligibility requirements : In addition to possessing the academic qualifications mentioned in the table under regular full-time Ph.D program, an applicant should fulfill the following additional requirements also:
- Professional Experience: The minimum full-time experience required after obtaining the qualifying degree and as on date of application deadline, is given in table below
|Qualifications||Work Experience (Post Qualification)|
|M.E./M.Tech./M.S.(R)/M.D. or Equivalent||Nil|
|B.Tech./BE with valid GATE||Nil|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./MBBS or equivalent, from CFTIs/Central Universities||1 Year|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./MBA/MBBS or equivalent, from institutions other than CFTIs/Central Universities||2 Years|
- Minimum Eligibility Qualification for these candidates is the same as for full-time candidates, except that the requirement of qualifying in a national examination is waived for serial No. 1, 3 and 4 of above table.
- No Objection Certificate: Part-time candidates are required to submit a “No Objection Certificate” on a proper letterhead from the Head of the Institute/Competent authority in the organization on the specified format given at FORMAT-B.
- If the candidate after joining the PhD program changes the organization, he should inform the Institute immediately and get NoC from the new organization as well.
Eligibility Requirement for IIT Ropar Staff
- Minimum eligibility requirements: In addition to possessing the academic qualifications mentioned in the table under regular full-time Ph.D program, an applicant should fulfill the following additional requirements also:
- GATE or equivalent qualification: Minimum qualification for these candidates is the same as for regular PhD candidates except that the requirement of qualifying in a national examination (e.g., GATE or equivalent) is waived off.
- No Objection Certificate: Prior permission/No Objection Certificate (NOC) has to be obtained from competent authority before applying for admission to the program. NOC has to be submitted at the time of submission of application. Institute work should not suffer due to joining the PhD programme by the candidate.
- Selection Procedure: Short-listed eligible staff will be called for written exam or interview or both Final selection is based on the performance of the staff in the written exam or interview or both.
- Fellowship: Members of staff permitted and enrolled for the PhD degree shall not be entitled to institute fellowship.
- Duration: The minimum period to be spent in the research work registered under the Part-Time Ph.D. for Staff degree shall be 4 years. The maximum period admissible for completion of the course work, research work and submission of the thesis, shall, however, remain to be the same as in the case of regular candidates.
IIT Ropar PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Important Dates
|Starting of Online Applications||03rd October 2023|
|Last Date for Application (Extended)||31th October 2023|
IIT Ropar PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Application Process
- Candidates have to fill application form online.
- Register on online application portal available on IIT Ropar official website.
- Read instructions carefully before filling application form.
- Submit the application ONLINE. After filling the form, take a print of your application and keep the same for your record. Print copy of the application is not required to be submitted.
- The candidates who wish to apply to multiple departments or research programmes are required to register for each application and pay the application fee separately subject to fulfilling the eligibility criteria for applying to the concerned department/research programme as mentioned in the admission brochure & website. Candidates can apply in multiple departments subject to fulfilling the minimum eligibility requirement of respective departments.
|For GEN/ OBC||Rs.200/-|
|For Women/ SC/ ST/ PWD||Rs.100/-|
|Mode of fee payment||SB collect (Online Payment System)|
- Admission is offered on the basis of an interview held usually a month before the commencement of the semester for which admission is sought. The interview may be supplemented by a written test, if necessary.
- Merely satisfying the general eligibility criterion as well as criterion set for each admission category is no guarantee for being called for test/interview.
- Depending on the number of applications received and considering the constraints of time and other resources for conducting Written Test and Interview, the Academic Units may put additional academic performance based shortlisting criterion.
- The dates of the written test/interview will be informed to the shortlisted candidates through email.
Join Our Telegram Channel