IIT Patna PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Patna invites applications for admission to the Ph.D. program for Jan 2024 (Spring Semester, AY-2023-24).
Get complete details such as application process, important dates, fee, selection and more for IIT Patna PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) from the page below.
Join Our Telegram Channel
IIT Patna PhD Programs
Applications are invited for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme, starting in Jan 2024 in the following Departments –
- Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Admission Categories for IIT Patna PhD Admission
- Regular and Full-Time
- Institute Fellows
- Research Fellows (JRF/SRF with external financial support)
- Project Staff
- Sponsored (Full Time)
- Employed & Part-Time
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Patna PhD Admission 2024 (Jan)
In all the disciplines, the upper age limit is 28 years (B.Tech./B.E./M.Sc./MA/MCA/MBA) and 32 years (M.Tech./M.E./M.S./M.Phil.) for SRF to be calculated as on the last date of application and is applicable for candidates those who are applying in Regular and Full time category, as institute fellow.
For Research/ project fellows, age limit will be as per the funding agency norms. In absence of any age criteria, the Institute norms will be followed.
Upper age limit is relaxed up to 05 years in case of candidate belonging to Schedule Castes/Schedule Tribes, Women, Physically Handicapped and OBC applicants.
Minimum Educational Qualification
For PhD Programme in Science departments
- M.Phil. or Master’s degree in Science in relevant area with minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology in relevant area with minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology in a relevant branch / area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% of marks.
For PhD Programme in Engineering departments
- Candidates having M. Tech./M.E. degree in an Engineering/Technology, with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant branch / area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% of marks.
- Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% of marks
For PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
- M.Phil. or Master’s degree in Arts/Commerce/Science in a relevant area with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Design in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology (from any Institute other than IITs/IISc) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% marks.
Relaxation for SC/ST Candidates:
5% marks or 0.5 CPI for SC/ ST applicants.
The reservation of seats in admissions for SC, ST, OBC, EWS categories and for persons with disability (PwD) will be as per Government of India rules. OBC (Non-creamy layer) candidates will have to produce certificate and self-declaration statement as per formats indicated at brochure.
For candidates in Sciences, Engineering &Technology:
The Institute may admit exceptionally bright students and Full-time (Institute Fellows) directly (i.e., without written test) into the Ph.D. program. Eligible candidates meeting one of the following condition may be considered for a waiver of written test:
- B.Tech. / B. S. from the IITs, graduated within the last five years, with a degree in the respective discipline with a CPI/CGPA of > 8.0
- Masters from the IITs/IISc, graduated within the last five years, with a degree in the respective discipline with a CPI/CGPA of > 8.5
Such candidate has to apply online. With this an email must be sent with scanned copy of the supporting documents to email@example.com
There would be no admission in direct admission category in Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- The Institute assistantships will be available to eligible (Indian) students as per prevailing (MoE, GoI) norms, as applicable from time to time.
- At present total emoluments are Rs 37,000/- per month for first two years and Rs. 42,000/- per month for subsequent years (governed as per MoE letter F. No. 32-18/2023-TS-l, dtd. 13.09.2023)
- Assistantships from external funding organizations will be available as per terms and conditions of the concerned funding organizations.
- Students receiving assistantships from the Institute or fellowships from any other funding agencies are required to perform academic duties as per prevailing norms.
- The continuation of the assistantship/fellowship is subject to satisfactory performance of the assigned duties and satisfactory progress of the student in the Ph.D. Programme.
IIT Patna PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Important Dates
|Start Date of On-line Application||October 26, 2023|
|Last Date of On-line Application||November 16, 2023|
|Issuance of Call Letter by email||November 27, 2023|
|Examination Date Window||December 06-12, 2023|
|Result Release Date (Tentative)||December 20, 2023|
|Issuance of Offer Letter (Tentative)||December 27, 2023|
IIT Patna PhD Admission 2024 (Jan) Application Process
- Candidates are required to apply online.
- Candidates, applying for more than one department, must submit a separate application with separate fee-payment for each application.
- The application fee should be paid online through SBI Collect (Link in Notification). Application fee shall not be refunded.
- A reference/journal number will be generated after the payment, which must be mentioned in the application form and the printed e-receipt of payment and the hard copy of the application must be preserved.
- The candidates are required to take printout of the application details received in email after submitting online application. This printout along with self-attested copies of mark sheets & certificates (from class X to highest degree obtained/appeared), caste certificate (if applicable), GATE /NET/Relevant certificate related to any fellowship, experience certificate, other testimonials (both sides), and printed e-receipt of online payment must be produced on the day of test/interview, failing which the candidature is liable to be rejected.
- Candidates are NOT required to send application by post.
|For GEN/EWS/OBC-NCL candidates||Rs. 1000/-|
|For SC/ST/PwD/Women / Transgender candidates||Rs. 500/-|
|Mode of Payment||Online through SBI Collect|
The Institute reserves the right to call a limited number of candidates for test/interview, based on performance in GATE/NET, grades/marks in the qualifying examination, shortlisting criteria etc. and merely fulfilling minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee call for test/interview.
Join Our Telegram Channel