For Regular (Full time) Ph.D. program at the Institute
A Master’s degree in Technology/Engineering or a Master’s degree by Research in Technology/Engineering along with a good academic record.
Master’s degree in Science (with a good academic record) and a valid GATE / UGC-CSIR NET (JRF or LS) /GPAT/ NBHM/ ICMR (JS) / ICAR (JS) or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in Technology/Engineering with an exceptional academic record and a valid GATE score in the relevant discipline.
Exemption for GATE under schemes as agreed by IIT Council for students of NITs/IITs/ IIITs/ IISERs/ IISc may be acceptable. The Candidate should have a minimum of 8.0 CGPA during B.Tech program.
UGC-CSIR NET Lectureship (LS) can be used as selection criteria, if candidate qualifies interview cum selection process at the department level and Institute fellowship will be granted to such candidates.
Off Campus – External
Candidates working as a regular employee in a government institution/ R&D organization/ relevant private industries are eligible to apply.
Candidate must be sponsored by his/her employer and must have been in employment with the sponsoring organization for at least two years at the time of admission. The organization(s) should sign MoU with IIT Jammu.
Candidate should have a minimum residency period of one semester on campus. Visits at the end of each semester are mandatory.
Candidate should have well established research facilities on parent campus. Majority of research work shall be carried out in parent organization.
Candidate should have one supervisor from the parent organization.
Supervisor from IIT Jammu should visit the organization/lab/ industry once a year for mutual research benefit.
Minimum qualification for these candidates is the same as for full-time regular candidates.
Off Campus – Part time
Candidates working as a regular employee in a government institution/ R&D organization/ relevant private industries/ CRPF/ Indian Armed Forces are eligible to apply. The parent organization should be located in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh regions only.
The employer must expressly undertake to relieve him/her to stay on the campus to enable the candidate to complete the “Course work” and attend the evaluation presentations at the end of every semester.
A candidate applying for admission to the Part time PhD programme must spend at least 6 weeks per semester on IIT campus to work.
Part-time PhD candidates will utilize research infrastructure of IIT Jammu for their thesis research work and supervisor at parent organization is not mandatory.
Minimum qualifications for these candidates is the same as for full-time regular candidates.
Important Dates for IIT Jammu PhD Admission 2023-24 (Jan Session)
Start date of the application
26 September 2023
Last Date of Online Application
20 October 2023
Candidates have to fill the application online only
Candidates are advised to read advertisement very carefully before applying Online
Candidates are advised to fill their active e-mail addresses in the online application. All correspondence will be made through e-mail.
Interview/Test schedule will be emailed to the candidates in their registered e-mail.
Visit institute website regularly for any updates.
1. Freight Transportation Planning and Logistics (for sponsored candidates) 2. Prestressed concrete, ultra high performance concrete, strengthening, experiments on full scale structures 3. Microwave Remote Sensing (Polarimetric and Interferometric modelling), Snow Geophysics and Glaciology. 4. Hydrology, Climate Change, Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering 5. Geotechnical Engineering, Geosynthetics, Geoenvironmental Engineering, Geo-Hazards, Deep Foundations, Field Testing of Geosynthetic-Improved Structures 6. Constitutive modelling of Concrete, Retrofitting of concrete structures, CFRP confined concrete 7. Solid Mechanics, Finite Element Modeling, Metastructure, Additive Manufacturing
1. Microfluidics and point-of-care device development 2. Transport and reactions in POC devices 3. AI in diagnostics 4. Theoretical and experimental investigation of catalytic dehydrogenation of propane to propene
1. Asymmmetric Organocatalysis, Photo-/Electro-Organic Synthesis 2. Photo- and Electrocatalytic Water Splitting, C-H Activation, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence 3. Inorgnaic and (2D) Materails for CO2 reduction, Energy Storage/Conversion, Water Harvesting Applications
Computer Science and Engineering
1. Cloud computing, federated learning, machine learning, deep learning, big data 2. Social Network Analysis, Graph Algorithms, Data Management, Algorithmic Data Science, Reinforcement Learning 3. Machine Learning, Deep Learning, NLP, Adversarial Learning applications in Security and Authentication, Light 4. Weight Learning Approaches, Soft Computing 5. Network and System Security; AI/ML/DL in System Security; Cyber Physical System Security; Federated learning for information exfileration with privacy concerns 6. Cryptanalysis, Quantum Cryptography 7. Distributed Computing and Algorithms, High Performance Computing, Computer Architecture, VLSI Testing 8. Blockchain, Biometrics, Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence 9. Computer vision
1. VLSI Design 2. Communications Engineering 3. R.F. and Microwaves 4. Speaker Verification and Identification using Machine Learning Approach 5. Image and Video Processing 6. Underwater Image and Video analysis 7. Machine learning and Deep Learning 8. Audio and Speech Signal Processing
1. Commutative Algebra and Combinatorial Commutative Algebra 2. Number Theory (Modular forms and Galois representations) 3. Finite Fields, Cryptography, and Coding Theory
1. Sustainable polymer, 2. polymer nano-composite based thermal management materials 3. Rapid Solidification Processing 4. Magneto Optic Alloys 5. Transmission Electron Microscopy 6. Heat Storage Alloys 7. Meta Materials System 8. Phase Transformation and Thermodynamic Modelling 9. High Temperature and High Heat Flux Alloys 10. Rare earth magnets 11. Noble metal alloy thin films
1. Solar Energy, Hydrogen Energy, Energy conversion 2. Fracture Mechanics, Finite Element Method, Phase Field Method, CNTs 3. Atomization, combustion, gas turbines, liquid rocket engines, laser flow diagnostics 4. Tribology, Hydrodynamic, Hydrostatic Journal Bearing, Functionally Graded Material composites,
(a) GATE rank of up to 1500 with both B.Sc. and M.Sc. score of 60% (CGPA 6.5) and above. OR (b) GATE rank of up to 500 with B. Sc. score of 55% (CGPA 6.0) and above + M.Sc. score of 60% (CGPA 6.5) and above. OR (c) GATE rank of up to 2000 with both B.Sc. and M.Sc. score of 75% (CGPA 8.0) and above. OR (d) GATE (Physics) rank of up to 500 and B. Tech. With CGPA of 8.0 and above with sufficient exposure to Physics during the engineering program. OR (E) NET with B. Sc. score of 55% (CGPA 6.0) and above + M.Sc. score of 60% (CGPA 6.5) and above.
There will be a minimum 2nd division in one of the 10th or 12th certificate exam and 1st division in the other than 10th or 12th exam in all the above.
List of Shortlisted candidates
Shortlisted candidates for the Interview/Written test for the Admission to PhD in the department of Physics, 2021- June-July session – List
Areas of Research for PhD Physics
Exploring light-matter interaction in van der Waals heterostructures for photonics and novel device applications
Optimization of the use of natural nanomachines
Visco-elastic properties of dusty plasma medium in DC discharge based experiments.
Thermodynamic and transport properties of plasmas through machine learning techniques
Self-propulsion by Marangoni forces at the air-water interface (Experimental)
Development of 2D heterostructures for energy storage applications
Shortlisting criteria: 60% (equivalent CGPA) in M.Sc. in Physics or related areas / 60% (equivalent) in relevant B.Tech/M. Tech. Degrees with sufficient proven background in Physics. AND 55% B.Sc. degrees (wherever applicable) and 50% (equivalent CGPA) in 12th. AND Valid NET (JRF/LS in Physics) or GATE (PHY; Cutoff: 2500) or DST INSPIRE (PHY) or JEST (90 percentile in Physics stream)