IISER Pune PhD Biology Admission 2024 (Jan) – IISER Pune invites application for PhD Biology Program for the academic session starting from Jan 2024.
Check full details on IISER Pune PhD Biology Admission Jan 2024 below here.
Join Our Telegram Channel
IISER Pune PhD Biology Research Areas
IISER Pune hosts a diverse group of researchers working in various areas. Research in
Biology at IISER currently encompasses both theoretical and experimental approaches.
Fields of research open to application in this round of PhD selections are as follows:
Ecology and Evolution
For students interested in Ecology and Evolution. This includes Theoretical and Empirical
aspects of Ecology (Agricultural, Chemical, Molecular, Plant, Physiological, Microbial),
Evolution (Life-History) and Biodiversity (Taxonomic, Functional and Phylogenetic). Faculty listing:
- 1. Deepak Barua
- 2. Ramana Athreya
- 3. Sagar Pandit
- 4. Sutirth Dey
For students interested in molecular biology, cell biology, cellular biophysics, developmental biology, microbiology, immunology, epigenetics, chromosome biology and cancer biology. Faculty listing:
- 1. Amrita Hazra
- 2. Chaitanya Athale
- 3. Gayathri Pananghat
- 4. Kundan Sengupta
- 5. Mayurika Lahiri
- 6. Nagaraj Balasubramanian
- 7. Sudha Rajamani
For students interested in Plant Biology, Plant Biotechnology, Agricultural Biotechnology
Plant Physiology, Plant Ecology, and Plant Chemical Ecology.
- 1. Deepak Barua
- 2. Sagar Pandit
Theoretical and Computational Biology
For students interested in any branch of theoretical biology including theoretical
neuroscience, evolution, bioinformatics and computational cell biology.
- 1. Chaitanya Athale
- 2. Collins Assisi
- 3. Pranay Goel
- 4. Suhita Nadkarni
IISER Pune PhD Biology Admission 2024 (Jan) Minimum Eligibility Criteria
All candidates who fulfil criteria A1 and any one of the criteria mentioned in A2, are
eligible to apply. Based on these applications, IISER Pune will create the list of students
to be invited for online interviews.
- Masters; (or B.E., B.Tech., M.Tech, MBBS) degree holders in any branch of science including physics, chemistry, mathematics, biological sciences, ecology and environmental sciences, biodiversity, psychology or equivalent.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage and not just in majoring subject) or CGPA of 6/10 in the general category or minimum 55% marks in aggregate (overall percentage and not just in majoring subject) or equivalent CGPA of 5.5 in the SC/ST, EWS or PD category.
- Students whose final results in Masters or equivalent are yet to be declared can also apply. However, if selected, the offer for these students will be provisional, subject to their fulfilling the above criteria.
Criteria A2 – Applicants must have any one of the following qualification.
- Qualified a National Eligibility exam that provides a 5-year Ph.D. fellowship such as CSIR–JRF / UGC–JRF / DBT–JRF–A/ ICMR–JRF / DBT–BINC–JRF / Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship. The fellowships must be valid until 31-January-2024.
- Qualified JEST (rank holder up to 500) or GPAT (rank holder up to 500) or NBHM in last two years.
- INSPIRE-Ph.D. fellowship (should be in possession of provisional selection letter at the time of Interview).
- IISER BS-MS dual degree students with CGPA ≥ 8.0
- Rank =200 in GATE exams (GATE Life Sciences, GATE Chemistry, GATE Eco-Evo, GATE Biotechnology, GATE Mathematics). The GATE score must be valid until 31- January-2024.
- Qualified JGEBILLS (IISER Pune will shortlist based on the ranks of the students).
IISER Pune PhD Biology Admission 2024 (Jan) Important Dates
|Deadline of Application||Nov 5, 2023|
|Date(s) of Interview||Nov 25 to Dec 5, 2023|
Application Form for IISER Pune PhD Biology Admission 2024 (Jan)
- Only online application will be accepted.
- Meeting the above-mentioned criteria merely makes the candidate eligible for application.
- The mere application/shortlisting does not guarantee admission into the PhD programme.
Meeting the above-mentioned criteria merely makes the candidate eligible for application. IISER Pune reserves the right to use other / more stringent criteria for the purpose of shortlisting for interviews. Specifically, the scores obtained in the “Research Design” and “Design an experiment” can be used for the purpose of shortlisting for interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be informed. Therefore, all candidates are requested to check this page regularly for updates. The referees of the shortlisted candidates alone shall be contacted for the reference letters.
Join Our Telegram Channel